Monday, August 4, 2008

In writing my paper, I found more too the book Mister Pip than I ever saw before. I took a quote from my paper. "Mister Pip is a book about what we can learn from books." There are many people who don't believe in stories and books and this country is slowly becoming illiterate. No one reads anymore, especially the classics such as Great Expectations. I believe Mister Pip is a must read because it is the story of Matilda and how when in a messed up world under messed up circumstances, she survived through a story, through a character that didn't exist Just as Shahrazad survived in Arabian Nights, But it did exist to her. It was at times more real that reality itself.

The power of literature is timeless and its relevance never ceases. people can read a book when they were young and not get into it that much and then revisit it again later in life and discover things they never saw before. A good analogy is a young child listening to a love song. They do not know what love is yet but they can appreciate the music. Its not until the experience love that that song has more relevance than they ever realized. 

No comments: