Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Fearing Introductions

July 1, 2008

The anxiety of the first day of class has never dwindled and I'm sure it never will. I am always afraid because I never know what to expect. When Mr. Sexon entered the room and began reading my first reaction was skepticism. This must be a test. Throughout the duration of the day he would randomly pick out people and question them. I was given introduction to the juggler, Medina who didn't kill her kids, and Dominic, daughter of Monique. After a while, I stopped being afraid and learned of the professors method. Its a day of introductions which acts as the foundation of the rest of the course. I can tell this class will be a calm relaxing class not without its work loads but it will be one in a low stress environment.
I will be honest when I say I do not read for pleasure as much as I should but I feel this class will provoke me to begin positive reading habits. Greg has mentioned a single book which engaged him to the point of being lost in the story. I had to think hard about this question because it has been some time. The book is called Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines. It's a story about a runt goblin named Jig who lives in a goblin village in the cave dwellings of a mountain. He is not big enough to carry out the normal tasks of the other large goblins so he is required to cook and clean for the rest of the village. One day Jig is captured by a group of crusaders in suite of killing the evil dragon in the depths of the mountain. Its an adventure story with great moments of action and humor.
Goblin Quest kept me entertained and interested on every page. One element that really turned me on about the novel was the main character. There are so many stories where the main character is the perfect model citizen, who is a hero and always does right. Jig is a coward and a wimp who goes on this journey against his will which I believe is very true to reality. We as humans usually do great good not because we are bold and heroic but because me must or are guided toward it by forces we do not agree with. It has been a long time since I read a book which has engaged me as well as Goblin Quest. I hope to find another one soon

No comments: